Who Should Take the ESS?
Because most people with sleep apnea (perhaps 80% or more) are undiagnosed, it’s important for people in risky populations to take advantage of the ease and convenience of the ESS to see if they might benefit from a sleep test.
This means that people should take the ESS if they notice sleepiness or are:
- A man
- A snorer
- Overweight, especially with a neck circumference of 16 inches or more
- A postmenopausal woman
- Experiencing changes in mood, memory, or motivation
- Suffering from morning headaches
- Diagnosed with high blood pressure
- Told that you stop breathing at night
Because the test is quick and easy, you should consider taking it annually (perhaps around your birthday) to ensure your risk has not increased.